Wednesday, July 29, 2015

On "Evolutionary Enlightenment."

When I first began to become disillusioned with Andrew, I bought a copy of Martin Buber's "I and thou." My reasoning was that Andrew's teachings had gone badly off the rails, and I wanted something that came from a different perspective than Andrew's "impersonal enlightenment." While I had trouble understanding Martin Buber's work, I admired his spirit, and I still think Andrew's fourth tenet is potentially destructive.

In addition, after my experience with Andrew, I'm deeply suspicious of the view of evolutionary enlightenment, or the idea that we can be at the forefront of evolution, or that we can somehow consciously help it along. While I agree with Whitehead there seems to be a creative impulse underlying creation, as a friend of mine put it to me once, everyone is at the forefront of evolution. There is no select elite group. And while I can understand the desire given the destructive path humanity appears to be on to find a solution, the impulse we have as human beings to objectify an absolute perspective, to identify with it, to take pride in it, is frighteningly strong and immensely destructive in its potential. In the end, I think Martin Buber has the right idea. "God demands from us, therefore, the simplest thing imaginable – to be good – but we always tend to complicate it."

No comments:

Post a Comment